MISSION / MISION


Good Shepherd Lutheran Church is a single bilingual and multicultural congregation in a diverse urban situation, and as such, our mission is to unite people through the love and faith in Jesus Christ. 

La Iglesia Luterana "El Buen Pastor" es una congregación es una congregación bilingüe y multicultural en una situación urbana y diversa, y como tal, nuestra misión es de unir a todas personas por el amor y la fe en Jesucristo.


OUR HISTORY

More than 500 years ago, Martin Luther changed the church in Germany with, among other things, a strong belief that people need to be able to read the Bible and to worship God in their own language. One hundred years ago, the only Lutheran services in North Hudson were conducted in the Norwegian, Swedish and German languages of America's Lutheran immigrants. On Sunday, May 7, 1905 following the ages-old principles of Lutheranism, a small group of people met in the basement of St. Olav's Norwegian Lutheran Church and began to hold worship services in English.

Under the spiritual guidance of the Rev. August Westlin, a congregation consisting of 24 adults was officially organized on August 2, 1905, and incorporated on April 23, 1906. The gospel for that first service on May 7th, was the Good Shepherd Gospel, and so, it was decided to name this new congregation "The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd."

In June of 1968, seventeen Spanish-speaking people gathered for the first Lutheran Spanish-language worship service in the North Hudson area This time, the need to provide worship in a different native language was met, not with a new church but with the change of one of the weekly worship services from English to Spanish.


NUESTRA HISTORIA

Hace más de 500 años, Martín Lutero estremeció la iglesia en Alemania. Entre algunos de los cambios se encontraba su fuerte creencia que a las personas deben poder leer la Bilblia y el adorar a Dios en sus propios idiomas. Hasta hace apenas cien años los únicos servicios Luteranos celebrados en el norte del condado de Hudson eran conducidos en los idiomas de los inmigrantes noruegos, suecos o alemanes. Fue un domingo, el 7 de mayo de 1905, cuando siguiendo los antiguos principios del Luteranismo, un grup de personas se reuinió en el sótano de la iglesia Luterana noruego, Santo Olav, y comenzó sus servicios en inglés.

Bajo la guía espiritual del Rev. August Westlin, una congregación de 24 adultos, fue oficialmente organizada el 2 de agosto de 1905 e incorporada el 23 de abril de 1906. El evangelio de ese primer servicio, el 7 de mayo, fue el evangelio del Buen Pastor, y así fue decidido el nombre de esa nueva congregación, "La Iglesia Luterana del Buen Pastor."

En el mes de junio de 1968, diecisiete personas de habla española se reunieron para celebrar el primer servicio Luterano en español en el área del norte de Hudson. Esta vez, la necesidad de ofrecer servicios de adoración en el lenguaje nativo fue una realidad, no con una nueva iglesia, sino con el cambio de uno de los servicios de adoración semanales de inglés a español.